Thursday, February 24, 2011

Week One


Where do I begin? Our first week with Sophie was quite the whirlwind. For one thing, we noticed this...



She has webbed toes! How weird! They kinda creeped me out at first, but now I'm used to them :)



Mommy enjoyed the stay at the hospital because Sophie was in the nursery during the night -they just brought her in when she needed feeding.





But, it was eventually time to go home, which meant we were on our own to take care of her. Let's just say, our first night home with her, I don't think she slept at all. At all.


The day after we brought her home, she started living in this:



She had jaundice and had to be under bili lights. Because the lights can be harmful to her eyes, she needed constant supervision in case she pulled her mask off.



For 3 nights Jonny and I took shifts sleeping so one of us was up with her at all times. Thank goodness her levels are now back to normal!


The bad thing about the lights was that they made her very sleepy, which made it very hard to feed her. She couldn't stay awake long enough to eat! But that is no problem now. If there were an olympics for breastfeeding, Sophie would take the gold. They told me to feed her for about 15-20 minutes in order to empty me. She can drain me in 5 minutes flat! I was worried at first that she wasn't getting enough but as of Monday, she had already gained back 4 oz and my Dr. said she must be eating like a champ :)


Little Sophie also had problems going to the bathroom. After 2 days of being plugged up, we had to use a suppository (I made Jonny do it). It was gross :( Thank goodness, it did the trick and she goes just fine now.



So now that she's eating and pooping just fine, that just leaves...



sleeping.


She sleeps just great during the day. A little too great. We can't seem to get her on the whole "awake during the day, asleep at night" thing. Any suggestions on how to do this are more than welcome :)


On top of a few eating/sleeping/pooping issues with Sophie, I got mastitis. It hurt worse than giving birth (not an exaggeration - it really did). Luckily, that is cleared up now as well.


So life with Sophie started off with a few little hiccups. They really weren't bad at all - nothing serious. But anything dealing with your baby seems like the end of the world when you are riding on birthing hormones (they finally seem to be going back to normal, but it was pretty bad.) So it of course made everything seem a lot worse than it was.


Now, however, if we could just solve this sleeping problem, I think life would be perfect. I'm not sure how much longer I can go with getting 2 hours of sleep a night.. It's a good thing my little bean is sooo worth it! I mean, just Look at her!






Yep. Totally worth it.


PS- Today is her due date and she's already 10 days old!

2 comments:

Thompson Family said...

oh my heck. i'm dying that i can't hold her. she is so darn cute!!! as for the sleeping...Ty just barely stopped waking up every hour. Now he is down to waking up twice a night to nurse and I feel like that is amazing for him. Sorry, hate to break it to you, but say goodbye to sleep for awhile.

Rachel said...

She is SOOOO cute, Ali! Seriously, & sounds like you're a great mom :) I'm sorry it was a little bumpy at the beginning, but I'm glad you got them worked out! Good luck on the sleeping issue!!